YOUTH AND DRUG ADDICTION
YOUTH AND DRUG ADDICTION: “Drug addiction is a state of periodic or constant intoxication produced by repeated consumption of a drug.” It is a complex brain disease and it’s characteristics include uncontrollable desire to continue taking the drugs, a tendency to increase the dose after an interval of time and a physical as well as psychological dependence on drugs.
Statistics by United Nations office on Drugs and Crime (UNODC):
According to the World Drug Report released by United Nations office on Drugs and Crime (UNODC), Around 275 million people worldwide are using drugs, while over 36 million are suffering from drug use disorders, most of whom are young people.
Drug Addiction in Pakistan:
In Pakistan, the total number of drug addicts as per a UN report are 7.6 million, where 78% are male and the rest 22% are female. A large number of young Pakistani students from various universities, colleges and organizations are addicted to drugs like heroin, cannabis and crystal meth (Ice).
Youth at risk for drug use:
There are many factors which can contribute in a young person’s decision to start taking the drugs :
- Stressful early life experiences, bullying, child abuse and other forms of trauma.
- Use of drugs by a family member
- Having peers or friends who use drugs
- Financial crisis
- Academic pressure
Reasons for youth to take drugs :
There are many reasons why a young person may take drugs, including :
(a) To be accepted by friends and peers who are also using drugs.
(b) To feel a sense of pleasure
(c) To get relief from anxiety, stress and depression
(d) To do better in sports or academics
(e) As an experiment
What does drugs do to a young person’s brain?
Young people’s brains are growing and are in the process of development until they are in their mid 20’s. Taking drugs at a young age can affect the developmental process of a brain and it can affect the decision making of a person. Taking drugs can drive a youngster to do risky things which can cause harm to himself/herself or to others, things that a normal youngster would not do. Youngsters who start taking drugs at a very young age increases the chances of using drugs continuously and they turn themselves into drug addicts later in life. Sleep disorders and high blood pressure are also common among youngsters with drug use.
Signs that a young person has a drug problem :
- Lying, Stealing
- Memory lapses
- Poor concentration
- Poor self hygiene
- Isolated lifestyle
- Poor academic performance
- Being in a bad mood most of the time
- Bad mouthing
- Lost of interest in favorite things
- Eating more or less than usual
Prevention of drugs among youth :
Drugs use and addiction are preventable. Following prevention skills can be used to stop or reduce the drug use among youth :
- By teaching them about problem solving skills and self control.
- By having good communication with your children
- By setting limits, providing safe boundaries and by showing them that you care.
- By being aware of the company they are spending time with.
- By introducing them to the spirituality.
- Thank you that is all from “YOUTH AND DRUG ADDICTION” Blog.