Coming out of rehab means adjusting yourself to a whole new lifestyle once again. This can sound scary because it means more change, but it doesn’t mean it is a negative thing- building a new and fulfilling life in sobriety can be a beautiful and positive journey. When you put in the right amount of time and effort into a new sober lifestyle, you will find joy and purpose again. Here are a few things you can do to help create happiness and peace in your sobriety:
- Do things you’re passionate about: Try to find your passions by learning new skills or trying to find new hobbies. Sometimes when you begin doing something you’re passionate about, it can feel therapeutic for you. This can make you feel calm, relaxed, and at ease. Examples of things you can try are gardening, painting, photography, exercising, journaling, and more.
- Keep yourself busy doing work that you enjoy: Finding work that you enjoy not only keeps us busy, but it also gives us a schedule that can help shape our daily routine. Once you have a healthy routine in place, it can create balance in your day-to-day life, which makes your new sober lifestyle fulfilling.
- Reflect on your progress: Remind yourself of how far you have come and how you are capable of continuing this journey of recovery. As you reflect on your progress, also remember that every effort counts towards your healing- do not think you are failing because you may be struggling or going slow. As long as there is good intention and strong effort, you are progressing.
- Be around positive people: When you surround yourself with people who have healthy thoughts, emotions and feelings, this energy can radiate and help you remain positive. If you choose to be around those who only drain your energy with negative thoughts, emotions and feelings, it can easily dishearten and discourage you. Choose those who lift you and want the best for you!
- Practise gratitude: When you remind yourself of the things you have been given, it allows you to feel more happiness. You can practise gratitude by journaling every morning and writing down all the things you’re grateful for. You can also tell the people close to you who are helping you in your new sober lifestyle how grateful you are to them- this can create deeper connections and relationships.
You can create a beautiful and fulfilling life when you are sober. As long as your mind is committed to it, you’re putting in the effort and you have a supportive base, you are on the right path.